4 min readAug 22, 2026 03:01 PM IST

A US Navy aircraft carrier originally named after Doris Miller, a Black sailor who was decorated for his bravery during the 1941 Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, could be renamed after President Donald Trump, according to CNN, citing three sources familiar with internal discussions. Two of the sources said there had been conversations about naming the vessel after Trump.

The purported move to rename USS Doris Miller has sparked criticism from veterans and civil rights groups, particularly because no US Navy aircraft carrier has previously been named after a sitting president.

“This is a slap in the face to every war hero and every service member who has worn the uniform,” Derrick Johnson, president of the NAACP, said, according to The Guardian. He said Miller “earned his place in American history through courage, sacrifice, and service.”

Story continues below this ad

The carrier was to be named the USS Doris Miller in honour of the Navy cook, who distinguished himself during the Pearl Harbor attack. The Navy has declined to comment on the reported renaming, while the White House referred questions to the Department of Defense, which also declined to comment.

“Doris Miller earned his place in American history through courage, sacrifice, and service. Donald Trump only wants to serve himself,” Johnson said.

The US Navy has declined to comment on the reports. The White House referred questions to the Department of Defense, which also declined to comment.

Story continues below this ad

Who was Doris Miller?

Miller was serving as a Navy cook aboard the USS West Virginia when Japanese forces attacked Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

Despite having no formal training to operate the weapons system, Miller reportedly manned an anti-aircraft machine gun and fired at Japanese aircraft during the attack. He also helped move the ship’s mortally wounded captain to safety while the vessel was under enemy fire.

For his actions, Miller was awarded the Navy Cross, becoming one of the most prominent Black American servicemen of the Second World War. His family has for years campaigned for his Navy Cross to be upgraded to the Medal of Honor.

Miller continued to serve after Pearl Harbor. He was killed in 1943 when the aircraft carrier escort USS Liscome Bay was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine. About two-thirds of the ship’s crew died in the attack.

Story continues below this ad

Why has the renaming sparked controversy?

Critics say replacing Miller’s name with Trump’s would erase the tribute to a sailor whose bravery helped challenge racial barriers within the US military.

Johnson also criticised the reported plan in the context of conditions faced by current service members.

“It’s beyond comprehension for a president to want his own name on a Navy ship while our armed forces are living in deteriorating conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln,” he said.

He accused Trump of turning military service into “another opportunity for personal branding”, arguing that American service members “signed up to defend the nation, not the fragile ego of one man”.

Story continues below this ad

The controversy also comes against the backdrop of the Navy’s tradition of naming its major warships after figures and institutions associated with American military history, rather than honouring a sitting president.

If the reported plan goes ahead, the vessel would mark a significant departure from that tradition and from the original intention to honour Miller, whose actions at Pearl Harbor made him one of the most celebrated Black servicemen in US history.

The Express Global Desk at indianexpress.com which delivers authoritative, verified, and context-driven coverage of key international developments shaping global politics, policy, and migration trends. The desk focuses on stories with direct relevance for Indian and global audiences, combining breaking news with in-depth explainers and analysis. A major focus area of the desk is US immigration and visa policy, including developments related to student visas, work permits, permanent residency pathways, executive actions, and court rulings. The Global Desk also closely tracks Canada’s immigration, visa, and study policies, covering changes to study permits, post-study work options, permanent residence programmes, and regulatory updates affecting migrants and international students. All reporting from the Global Desk adheres to The Indian Express’ editorial standards, relying on official data, government notifications, court documents, and on-record sources. The desk prioritises clarity, accuracy, and accountability, ensuring readers can navigate complex global systems with confidence. Core Team The Express Global Desk is led by a team of experienced journalists and editors with deep expertise in international affairs and migration policy: Aniruddha Dhar – Senior Assistant Editor with extensive experience in global affairs, international politics, and editorial leadership. Nischai Vats – Deputy Copy Editor specialising in US politics, US visa and immigration policy, and policy-driven international coverage. Mashkoora Khan – Sub-editor focusing on global developments, with a strong emphasis on Canada visa, immigration, and study-related policy coverage. … Read More

Stay updated with the latest – Click here to follow us on Instagram