

4 min readNew DelhiUpdated: Aug 23, 2026 10:01 PM IST
Three years after the killing of Khalistan separatist Hardeep Singh Nijjar triggered India’s worst diplomatic row with Canada after Delhi rejected Ottawa’s allegation of involvement, an audio clip has surfaced on social media in which fugitive gangster-turned-terrorist Goldy Brar has claimed responsibility for Nijjar’s death.
Brar, whose real name is Satinderjeet Singh and who is from Faridkot in Punjab, is heard in the audio clip – its authenticity could not be independently verified – speaking to Khalistan terrorist Paramjit Singh Pamma.
Brar claims that Nijjar was killed by him and his associates because he had been using young people to sell drugs. “Those who groomed and incited 16-to-17-year-olds to sell drugs… those who blackmailed young people into selling drugs and becoming informants… Nijjar supported and strengthened these individuals so that he could use them when necessary,” he said.
“Everyone has to face the consequences of their actions,” Brar said.
The development comes a month after the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) announced a reward up to $50,000 for information leading to Brar’s arrest. He is wanted for his alleged links to the Lawrence Bishnoi organised crime group, which was targeted under Operation Hard Ball.
A Canadian citizen, Nijjar was shot dead outside a gurdwara in Surrey, British Columbia, on June 18, 2023. His killing triggered a diplomatic row after the then Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, alleged that Canadian authorities had credible evidence linking Indian government officials to the killing.
Delhi rejected the allegation, calling it “absurd” and “motivated” and maintained it had no involvement in the killing. Last month, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said authorities had found no evidence linking Indian government officials to Nijjar’s killing.
Story continues below this ad
The two countries are now trying to repair relations and move forward.
According to a US federal indictment unsealed in Los Angeles last month, jailed gangster Lawrence Bishnoi allegedly ordered the killing of Nijjar, referred to as HSN in court documents. The US has also charged Bishnoi and Brar in connection with the case.
Brar, who earlier lived in Canada after going there on a student visa in 2017, is wanted in India in several cases, including the killing of Punjabi singer Sidhu Moosewala who was shot dead in Punjab’s Mansa district on May 29, 2022. Brar had claimed responsibility for the killing.
The US Justice Department indictment had earlier linked the killing of Nijjar with an alleged plot to kill Khalistani separatist Gurpatwant Singh Pannun, citing intercepted communications and common targets. In February this year, Indian national Nikhil Gupta pleaded guilty in a US federal court to murder-for-hire and conspiracy charges in the Pannun case.
Story continues below this ad
Indian agencies have said that Brar is associated with Babbar Khalsa International, a listed terrorist organisation. A dossier prepared by Central agencies says Brar, backed by a cross-border agency, was involved in multiple killings, made threatening calls to pro-nationalist leaders, demanded ransom, and used social media platforms to claim responsibility for killings.
The Interpol has issued a Red Corner Notice against Brar. In India, a non-bailable warrant was issued against him on December 12, 2022, and a Look Out Circular on June 15, 2022. The Centre later designated him a terrorist under the Fourth Schedule of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

